Surgical Hooks

Ask any questions you have about the process leading up to the actual jaw surgery here, including: braces, cost, wisdom teeth, etc.

Sponsor

Postby USNchic » Fri May 18, 2012 11:00 pm

OK, so besides me freaking out about the surgery (previous post), I am also freaking out about the fact that my orthodontist wants to put my surgical hooks on Monday. My surgery is two weeks after that. I've read that they are terribly uncomfortable. Are they that bad? Will I be suffering the two weeks before my surgery because of them?

USNchic

Postby stevek216 » Fri May 18, 2012 11:13 pm

They kinda suck. I had a bad underbite and the ones on top didn't bug me but the bottom ones tore up my lip. I learned my lesson quickly and put on a bunch of wax. Then they were fine and my lip healed.

So moral of the story? It's fine, just make your ortho give you a LOT of wax. In a week I went through almost 4 little containers of it.

stevek216

Postby USNchic » Fri May 18, 2012 11:21 pm

So I'm supposed to go out in public with my front teeth covered in hooks and wax for two weeks? Sounds awesome.....

Thanks for the answer, Steve.

USNchic

Postby RachelM » Fri May 18, 2012 11:31 pm

I didn't have any problems with my hooks. It's different for everyone. And nobody will notice, trust me!

RachelM

Postby stevek216 » Fri May 18, 2012 11:58 pm

No problem! Rachel's right, the hooks just look like a little more metal, they're really not ugly, and the wax (at least mine) was surprisingly clear. Like, so clear that I really had to feel around with my tongue to make sure I got it all off before brushing. I think the main reason I had issues was that my lower lip was so pressed against my teeth.

On the other hand though, I never had issues with the braces irritating me. Also it can't hurt to call your ortho and ask for him/her to put them on a little closer to the surgery date. My orthodontist actually told me that I'd want to have them put on as close to surgery as possible. The only reason I had them on for a whole week was that I couldn't fit a later appointment into my schedule. It honestly might be worth a try, for me they were a real nuisance, maybe ask if there's a particular reason your ortho wants them on so early...

stevek216

Postby Clair241 » Sat May 19, 2012 12:29 am

Good question USNChic, I've been wondering the same thing! I'm getting my surgical hooks put on next week too! But I'm not having my surgery for another 5 weeks after that! Ohh so I really hope you right Steve and Rachel! :)

Clair241

Postby USNchic » Sat May 19, 2012 1:40 am

They can't fit me in closer to my surgery date, which I find very irritating.

USNchic

Postby stevek216 » Sat May 19, 2012 3:24 am

That is irritating. Oh well, I guess you'll just have to use a lot of wax. Five weeks is obscene though Claire, I would see if you could change that...

stevek216

Postby risho » Sat May 19, 2012 5:34 am

In my opinion, they are just a worse version of braces and nothing to worry about.

risho

Postby john » Sat May 19, 2012 6:33 am

My [i]hooks[/i] really have not bothered me at all as they are placed vertical and so they have not irritated my gums. You can see a picture of what they look like on my blog [url=http://www.doublejawoperation.com/2012/04/day-5-surgical-hooks.html]here[/url].

What [i]has[/i] bothered me is that during surgery the surgeon added horizontal [i]wire[/i] to my surgical hook arch wire and I find this wire constantly poking (stabbing!) my lips and inside mouth. I find myself trying to bend the wires in on themselves so that I am not constantly stabbed! :)

In terms of aesthetics, if you have been wearing braces, not many people will notice the surgical hooks. Plus, in all honestly, people will notice your post-surgery face (swelling, bruising, etc) far more than they will notice the surgical hooks . . .

Blog: http://www.doublejawoperation.com/
john

Next

Return to Pre-Surgery Questions