Signs of infection

Ask any questions you have about post-surgery and recovery here, including: swelling, eating, wired shut, etc.

Sponsor

Postby Mr. F » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:06 pm

I have a small (not visible, right by the lymph node) hard lump along the left side of my lower jaw. There is a strange taste when I apply minor pressure to it, but it does not taste particularly sour (a bit salty though) nor does my breath smell foul. I don't feel sick at all but I do have some sort of yellow-ish discharge when I rinse out my mouth and apply pressure to that spot -- not sure if this is food or pus. I've followed every doctor's order perfectly (completed the full cycle of antibiotic after surgery, brushing teeth, rinsing with hydrogen peroxide/water, and using a prescribed oral rinse several times daily), so I'll be devastated if some sort of infection survived all that.

Anyone have experience with this type of issue? My appointment with my surgeon is in a few days, should I try to push that up in case this is infection?

Mr. F

Postby Mr. F » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:19 am

Update: it IS an infection. What are the odds? Bummer. :(.

Mr. F

Postby lenny61088 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:48 am

Day 5 after surgery. Put my tongue to the roof of my mouth and it feels warm. Is this cause for concern of infection? What are the warning signs of infection?

lenny61088

Postby Katie123 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:24 am

Hi I think I may have an infection too, similar to that of Mr F. I can taste saltiness in an area that is tight feeling on my bottom right jaw, and the right side of my face is more swollen and painful than my left side. However I don't see any pus and don't have a fever. Has anybody had the same symptoms? Are my symptoms early stage infection? I'm now 12 days post op from double jaw surgery and have been really vigilant with oral hygiene. Don't understand how or why I would get an infection if it is one. I have an appointment with my surgeon in 2 weeks. Is this too long to wait?

Katie123

Postby Jaw_breaker22 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:40 am

I remember going to the hospital and seeing this guy having done the surgery, he was my age and in his two month period. He had gotten his mouth infected and had gotten a big bubble like bump in his mouth; they had to pop it and clean it out.

I too have a bump now but I dont think its infected. Im very clean. And I try to brush my teeth just right, but im having trouble with upper corners of my teeth.

im trying not to think of it, dont remember day 5 but I do remember trying to spit from the inside of my mouth and rinsing it with water alot, I too had a weird taste and sometimes still do.. Its day 9 for me and Im brushing my teeth all the time, im able slightly to open my mouth but that's because it's not wired shut anymore..not sure really? All I know is that I have to put these bands on my braces now so that they can be clapped down, I take them off everytime I eat.

I can only stick my tongue out just a little. My tongue feels overly sensative.

Jaw_breaker22

Postby Katie123 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:40 am

Just an update.. It certainly is an infection for me. I am now back on antibiotics. The sore spot started to produce yellow fluid (pus). Anyway, I still don't have a fever, so if u have signs of salty taste in mouth and hardness in area of pain, or extra swelling in that spot, then go to your doctor ASAP before it turns into full blown infection.

Katie123

Postby Katiekittenz » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:37 pm

I had my surgery this Thursday just gone, today is my first day home from hospital and I'm feeling rather rank, very tired and swollen. After any foods (soft stuff) I've been syringing mouth wash in my mouth and letting it drip out and this morning i tried cleaning my front teeth with a baby tooth brush, is there anything more I can do to avoid infection? X

Katiekittenz

Postby Katie123 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:21 pm

My doctor told me to do salt water rinses as often u can throughout the day and especially after eating or drinking anything. I dont think I did enough salt rinses that's why I got an infection. U really need to swoosh it around your incision sites often to disinfect those open wounds whilst they heal. I only brushed my teeth and used medicated rinse 3 times a day. Try the salt rinses whenever u remember, I'm sure it should help ward infection off.

Katie123

Postby Leeluv » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:57 am

Now I am kinda nervous I'm on my first week and like you mentioned jaw breaker I have this bubble like bump on the bottom of my gum I try keep my mouth as clean as possible I bought myself some peryoxl mouthwash I just thought it was swollen due to my surgery I see my dr on wen but I'm scared I'm completely wired shut for 3 weeks I have 2 more left and I really don't want them to have to drain the bubble I am on antibiotic I do not have a foul taste in my has any one else had a bubble like bump? This is not fun at all

Leeluv

Postby Leeluv » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:01 am

How would I know if it was infected it dosent look like it has puss in it just a bubble not painful my chin is numb idk if any one knows heeelp?

Leeluv

PreviousNext

Return to Post-Surgery and Recovery Questions